Vacation Time! Day Three, or, Meet Khan

This is Khan:

We found him in an antique store, hanging forlornly by his broken strings, and I fell in love. (The backstory is I love puppets, and would have them hanging all over the house if I didn’t have any self control…) He just has so much character, and I should have taken pictures of him hanging up.
We are roughly estimating him to be from the 1910s, and he is in pretty good shape, except for his broken strings. I sat in the antique store and examined all of his joints and where is strings attach (they are just looped on at the joints, no holes to re-thread) and I THINK I can fix him. It will be my weekend project when we get back. I am excited to start.
AND he came with his own puppet stand, so that is a happy bonus!
I picked up a couple of gifts and this great old box that I am going to use to store art supplies in, and Pajamafin picked up a ten to fifteen year old clarinet that is in great condition, but it didn’t have a reed.
So, on the way back to the beach, we stopped at a little local music shop. Pajamafin got some reeds and a cherry red hard tail Epiphone Dot and a gig bag. It is a great guitar, very mellow and lovely. While he was testing it out and waiting to make his purchase, he, the co-owner, and a teenage boy who was very in to music, anime, and RPG games (and all I could think of, as he talked about them was, “What apout quests!?!” from Dot Dot Dot) struck up a conversation about all of those things while the co-owner taught the kid how to repair his bass. Before Pajamafin could check out, a little kid came in for his guitar lesson, so the co-owner passed us off to the other owner, an older Cajun man with an accent that I wanted to sit around and listen to all day, who rang him up and we were on our way.
I would like to take this time to point out that everyone who works in Pensacola that I have had any dealings with have been the epitome of courteous and friendly. They have all made us feel like we have lived here all of ours live instead of like we were just visiting, which is a feat, since a lot of the other tourists I have encountered have been rude rude rude. (Not all, but a good deal. WHY do you go on vacation to be rude? I don’t get it…) I really appreciate how friendly all the people from here are.

Then it was back over the bridge and time for lunch. We went to Flounder’s Chowder House, which, I have to admit, is a big fat misleading name. They do not have chowders. They have A chowder, and it is made of flounder, so I suppose technically it is correct, but still. I was expecting lots of chowders. That said, they had killer food. We ordered an appetizer called seafood nachos that could have feed four to six very easily. It was awesome. Shrimp, scallops, and fish with jalapenos and banana peppers, tomatoes, cheese, and black beans, it was wonderful and I was very sad to not be able to eat it all.
We also ordered a main course because we didn’t realize that the appetizer would be so huge. I ordered the beer battered oysters which were really great and Pajamafin ordered bourbon glazed trigger fish. He let me have a taste and it was delicious. We had to bring both of those back to the room in boxes though, as we were stuffed from the nachos.

We went back to the room with the intentions of dropping off the food before we went to the Gulf Islands National Seashore, but my eyes were itchy this morning so I had taken an allergy tab, and it, combined with running around on the beach in the sun and breathing in the sea air (which, coupled with the crashing waves, is super soothing to me) had caught up with me and I was asleep before Pajamafin had finished putting the food away.

~~~~This is me unconscious~~~~~

When I woke up Pajamafin had walked around the block and down on the beach and played both of his new instruments. So I got up and put on shoes, and off we went to Fort Pickens in the Gulf Islands National Seashore. We didn’t know it but it is sea bird nesting season and there were tons of little terns nesting right on the beach by the road. Which is why the speed limit is 20.

The sun was setting so we didn’t get to take a lot of pictures, but the seashore was beautiful, and there are tons of nesting osprey and pelicans. We even saw a couple of osprey with fish almost as big as they were, flying back to the nests. It was breathtaking.

Here are a couple of pictures of the old fort, but with the diminishing light we didn’t get to stick around that long.

We paid eight dollars and have a week pass, so we are thinking of going back tomorrow, or Thursday after we check out. Today was a good day, and now I can’t wait to fix Khan’s strings, and I really can’t wait for tomorrow when we go to see the dolphins!


~ by mexalapotis on June 14, 2011.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: